If your Wii is just gathering dust and the kids have played all the games they possibly could then you can squeeze some extra mileage out of it. I’ve found some excellent guides on how to hack your Wii if you want to play the sort of games we grew up with on it or if you want to use your Wii as a DVD player. You can also save all your expensive discs on a hard drive and have them accessible all in ones place if your household is anything like mine and scratched and damaged discs is a daily occurrence. There’s a myriad of tuts out there with cryptic instructions and the assumption that you have all the technical know how. So I’ve gathered the most decent, understandable ones, IE, the ones I followed.
A. You will need the following to complete all the steps.
1.Wii version 4.3 (other versions are possible but you will need a different set of instructions. This How To is just for version 4.3. which uses the Letterbomb exploit. You have the option to update your Wii in your Wii Menu if you don’t have version 4.3.
2. At least 2 x SD or SDHC memory cards, one needs to be at least 1GB .
3. Laptop with SD slot or desktop with card reader.
4. New Super Mario Brothers Wii Disk (you will need this to unlock the extra 128 new levels.
5. A program to unzip files like Winzip or 7-Zip.
(These are the ones that I followed, trust me they are the most user friendly ones and doesn’t assume anything.)
1. Download Homebrew Channel here following all the instructions. (Don’t forget to create a NAND backup just in case you brick your Wii.)
2. Download Homebrew Browser here following all the instructions. (You only have to download the Homebrew browser if you want to download games directly from the internet to your Wii. Otherwise you have to remove your SD card from your Wii, insert to your computer, download and extract games to your SD card and then insert to your Wii to be able to play so this step is completely optional.
3. Download Newer Super Mario Brothers here following all the instructions. Have your New Super Mario Brothers disc ready after this step as you will be needing it here during the installation process.
Enjoy 128 new levels of Newer Super Mario Brothers created by some talented, selfless individuals for our enjoyment. Ive also found 200 new tracks for Mario Kart but right now my children wont allow me even close to the Wii to download it as they are bright eyed completing all the Newer Super Mario Brothers Levels.
PLEASE NOTE: Hacking your Wii will void the warranty. The above links and websites will have plenty of warnings and opportunities for you to back out if you are not willing to risk bricking your Wii. Bricking is a term used for when your Wii becomes inoperable due to software changes you have made, like downloading the Homebrew Channel. The warranty on my Wii is long expired and its gathering dust so bricking it was the least of my concerns. If something goes wrong you have the NAND backup you created in Step 1 but its not a fail safe I would assume.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post